1. Use the Frequent flyer miles for promotion or flight free of charge. I was very surprised at the number of people with repeated flying miles that are never used. They forgot that they got it or did not think about using it when booking tickets. Connect to the Internet, sign in to your account, and see if you have miles of air to use. You can get some amazing promotions or cheap or free prices with your frequent flyer miles.
2. Buy your tickets in advance – or last minute. Sounds contradictory, I know. But these are the best times to get the best prices. Obviously it is better and easier to book early, but if you have waited until the last minute, it is time to shop at amazing prices. For example, airlines want to fill all their seats, so if the seats are available at the last minute, they often get a big discount. Call and see.
3. Flexibility is the key to good deals. If you are serious about your travel dates and times, you will not be able to find some of the discounted travel rates available for those who want to be flexible. Change your plans by day or week and check prices from other nearby airports.
4. Use your discount cards like AAA. Again, something else people forget often. When calling for hotel prices or airfares, mention your AAA and see if there is a discount, or go to the AAA office and buy your tickets.
5. Take advantage of "children eat free food" and "children stay free" in hotels and restaurants. It may not seem a lot of savings, but it adds all of that during your trip.
6. Package deals can save you money. After you have priced your trip by buying everything separately, check out some package deals to see if you can find a cheaper price for your travel plans. All-inclusive offers are not always consistent with your plans, but if you do, you can save a lot.
7. Rent an apartment or cottage instead of staying at the hotel. Yes, you will miss the maid service, but you will enjoy the extra money in your pocket. This works particularly well if you plan to stay for more than a week or so and if you are traveling with another family.
8. Go skiing – in the summer. What ?! in summer? Yes, you can find some great prices at ski resorts in the summer months when fewer tourists. Most people do not think about going skiing at this time, so you can benefit from finding excellent deals. If you do not ski, you can find many other activities in these resorts such as hiking, horseback riding, mountaineering and cycling to name a few, and the scenery is awesome!
9. Sign up for email alerts from online travel sites to see when low prices are available. But remember to be flexible, because these great prices usually have a limited number of seats and availability. Jump quickly when you find them.
10. Choose a cruise for an affordable family holiday. Cruises, since they are all inclusive, can be cheaper on a family trip. Book early despite getting the best rates, where cruise ships sell early.