Online booking benefits for hotels


The hotel industry has seen tremendous growth in the last few years, with millions of hotel hotels now being offered to their guests online. Online hotel reservations are a very common way to book hotel rooms where travelers from all over the world can make room reservations from their comfortable home. There are primarily two ways one can make two online reservations: online travel agencies (OTA) and booking directly with hotels.

OTA provides travelers with a wide range of accommodation options, allowing them to make an informed decision by comparing prices and facilities for different hotels. Some of the popular OTA include Expedia, Travelocity, MakeMyTrip, etc. OTA offers hotel and room photos, price information, deals, traveler reviews, etc., making it much easier for people to make reservations.

However, although your presence on the OTA can be very helpful; you can not ignore the importance of booking directly on the hotel's locations. The Direct Hotel Bookings attracts frequent and loyal leisure and business travelers who are not managed, who focus on tables and comfort. Web sites cater to the audience with greater customization and loyalty, while the OTA appeals to different types of travelers like non-ordinary travelers, who make a few trips a year and are more sensitive to the price.

A recent survey conducted in 2008 shows that only 39% of online travel sales are made through online travel agencies (OTA), while the remaining 61% is conducted directly on hotel websites. It is clear that the percentage of travelers making OTA online reservations is less than half as compared to bookings made directly on hotel websites.

There is now an increasing number of hotels on their websites with a reservation engine attached to their web site to allow people to book rooms in real time. In this way, hotel owners can directly market their hotels to their guests through their websites.

Listed below are some of the benefits of Direct Hotel Bookings:

  • Increase in profits by eliminating charges of 20-30% imposed by intermediate sales channels
  • Control room rates and increase the number of reservations from their website
  • Manage your entire customer experience from shopping, booking and following up stay
  • Make a comprehensive offer of options including restaurants, fitness rooms, spa and other facilities
  • Guests with more photos and hotel videos are offered a full description of the property of the hotel
  • Offer better rates and rates with no additional booking fees
  • Provide confidence to travelers that booking will not be lost between the sales broker and the hotel

One of the big reasons why most customers use hotel websites to make their reservations is that hotels have significantly improved their websites to provide better traffic, design and content. Through the comprehensive online reservation engine built into the hotel's website, which provides an immediate, multilingual and multi-currency solution, a wide range of payment options, and high security standards, you can save maximum bookings, affecting the decision-making process of customers, ultimately enhancing Loyalty.